said or done unfairly to make people have a bad opinion of someone
scurrilous attacks on the senator ▪ scurrilous rumors
not polite : rude
It would be/seem churlish not to congratulate him.
1. an allusion about a person or a thing esp. in a derogatory fashion
2. a parenthetical explanation or specification present in a legal document
The innuendo made by the boss about his subordinate’s mental faculties and state of mental health so enraged the subordinate that he immediately tendered his resignation.
1. (n.) loud uproar or protest from a crowd
2. (v.) to protest or demand loudly
There was a huge clamor from the crowd as the popular actor stepped out from the studio.
1. (of persons) very likely to make a mistake or be misled
2. likely to be erroneous, faulty or false
Since we humans are fallible, we have not yet succeeded in building a perfect world.
belonging to the same age or period
Archaeologists regard the two great cities of the Indus valley civilization- Mohenjo Daro and Harappa- to be approximately coeval.
1. unable to describe in words; indescribable
2. not to be spoken of or uttered; taboo
The ineffable joy of a woman becoming a mother is well documented in the literature of almost every language.
Affectedly modest or shy especially in a playful or provocative way
There is the demure and the dauntless.
resolutely fearless; brave; courageous
A bold and intrepid spirit is necessary to join the armed forces of our country.
1. gloomy; sullen; bleak
2. stubborn; obstinate
3. extremely strict and harsh; forbidding
The perpetually dour expression on his face made him unpopular.